Sprinkle cake….or school cake, I don’t know what this is actually called but I’m always seeing so many videos of it and people talking about how it reminds them of school. I don’t think my school ever had this, or maybe I just don’t remember it but anyway I didn’t understand the hype, it just seemed like a regular basic cake to me. I was incorrect, this is so good, it seems simple but it works. The taste gets a 10/10 from me.
- for the cake:
200g softened unsalted butter
(margarine works too)
175ml vegetable oil
375g granulated sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
375g self raising flour
- for the icing:
350g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
plus some sprinkles
- start by pre-heating your oven to 170c/325f and also grease and line your baking tin. I used a 7x9 inch tin but a 8 inch square tin works perfectly too!
- in a bowl add your butter, oil, sugar and vanilla. beat these together on medium-high speed for 5 minutes. if you're doing this by hand, just beat it for as long as you can
- add in 3 egg, then mix, then add the remaining 3 eggs
- now add in the flour and milk, then mix until you get a smooth batter
- pour this into your tin and bake until a toothpick comes out clean. the baking time depends on the tin you use, mine baked for about an hour, just keep an eye on it. also i like to cover my cakes with tin foil after around 40 minutes just so that they don't brown too much on top
- add the sugar, a few spoons of the milk, and vanilla into a bowl and whisk these together. you want to get a thick icing that is still spreadable, so just keep adding spoons of the milk until you get to this consistency
- once the cake has cooled, add the icing on top then throw on your sprinkles
- i recommend leaving this at room temperature for a few hours so that the icing can set, you'll get much neater slices if you wait. but after that you're done!